Monday, April 10, 2017

When The Time Comes

It was a cloudy Sunday in May of 2008, and Roger Keaton lay sound asleep in a St. Francis Hospital bed. His family was all standing close by: his three daughters, son, and six grandkids. Tension filled the room. Granddad hadn’t been doing so well since his last round of chemo – pancreatic cancer.

Like anyone, Roger’s family was constantly in a state of worry because no one knew when his time to leave them would come. However, even more so for Roger’s family, because the doctor predicted that he would only live to be 68, which was only one year after his diagnosis. Pancreatic cancer is a mean and violent disease. For Roger to live as long as he had was a miracle in itself – he was now 74. So the anticipation was amplified times ten for the Keaton family because their beloved Roger could literally be taken from them at any second.

He had good and bad days, but the adults in the family knew the time was nearing and they could hardly bear it.

The youngest of Roger’s children, his baby girl Lillian, walked to his side and broke down into flowing tears as she cried, “Daddy, I don’t know what I’m gonna do without you here.”

Roger replied with wisdom like he always did, and comforted Lillian with his kind words.

“Lil, let go of your own plan and accept God’s. I am prepared to stand at the gates of Heaven whenever my time comes, whether it be today or ten years from now. You’ll always be my baby girl, and just as I have kept my eye on you since the day you were born, I will do the same even when I am gone.”

“I love you, Daddy.”

“I love you too, Lily Pad.” He had called her that since she was a baby. Lily Pad. Lillian used to hate it, but hearing it now sounded so sweet.

Roger then called his oldest son Mark over to his bedside.

“Mark, you’re a good man. A great father. A faithful servant. An inspiring teacher. An encouraging friend. And not to mention, my favorite son ever.” Mark gave a meek chuckle knowing he was his father's only son.

Holding back tears, Mark replied, “I will make you proud, Dad. I will honor this family and the Keaton name until-“

“I trust that you will, son. I have all the faith in you. Now don’t cry. You’re no wimp.” Roger always had a dry sense of humor. Somehow it made him obnoxious, but so charming at the same time. Everyone loved him.


The days passed slowly. Two weeks later on June 3rd, 2008 Roger Keaton passed away in that same St. Francis Hospital bed. His family mourned as they watched him take his last breath. An incredible mix of deep sorrow and adoring love filled the room as family members cried, and tried to process what was happening. Bible hymns were playing in the room as they were Roger’s favorite. The whole family sang along and smiled knowing that their father and granddad was right where he was supposed to be.

Bibliography
PDE Mahabharata. Link to reading.

Author's Note
I changed this story quite a bit, but writing it came so naturally.
This is a story taken from the death of Bhishma. He got to choose when he died, and he instructed others as to what to do when he died. Here, I took a more emotional approach. I wrote about a person who could not choose when to die, but was ready when the time came near. I included a real life situation with my main character's family being there and experiencing the pain of what was happening to him. I made the story into a more realistic version, or a more real life take on what went on in the PDE Mahabharata. The physical death of Bhishma is similar of that to Roger's in my story in that he died with his loved ones around him. He told stories and advised the others what to do following his death.
I chose this generic picture because I thought it was just a sweet representation of a family. That's the most important thing about this story. The plot is based on the grandfather dying, but that is not meant to be the focus. It's about the love and respect the family has for each other and how that both makes his death harder, but leaves them with peace as well. I would say most of us have either personally suffered the loss of someone special to us, or have known someone who has lost a loved one. So I think this is relatable and makes an emotional connection to a reader more than the original Mahabharata version. It's more personal.

Family Portrait. Image source: online.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you changed your story to be more realistic. I like that you felt this was the better approach even if it changed from the original drastically. I think something I would change is describing more of a previous relationship between the characters. I felt like as a reader I missed a lot of background story with some of the characters. You could put in why he called his baby girl lily pad. Was it because she liked the outdoors? Also the dynamic with the only son and father could have been more drawn out. It would have been nice to see a more genuine interaction. This is his only son and who will carry his name when he is gone. I just felt they should have had a more prolonged moment. I just think personally the more a person explains about characters the more I will get into the story. Other than that you did a good job and it was a touching story.

    ReplyDelete