Monday, March 27, 2017

Learning Challenge: Attention Tips

Paying attention is something we all struggle with at some point. This can be because of a number of things - whether we are thinking of something going on in our own lives, we're hungry, we're tired, we are uninterested, etc., but learning how to push past these barriers will make it easier to pay attention.

One thing that I have found to help me hold attention is to maintain eye contact. This applies to face-to-face situations such as a classroom, a meeting, and one-on-one conversations. I have noticed this in class, that even when I am exhausted or uninterested in the material, I am almost forced to listen when I am looking in the eye of the professor. By watching them speak and watching their expressions as they talk, I find it much easier to actually listen to what they're saying.

Another thing I have found to be helpful is to take notes whether it be with a pen and paper, on my phone, or in my head. This way, even if you don't get every detail that was mentioned, you at least have some major take-aways and won't leave the interaction empty handed.

I hope these tips are helpful!

Classroom. Image Source: Goconqr.

No comments:

Post a Comment