Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Week 8 Growth Mindset

Well first, I am going to start by talking about an issue I have with my other classes. As I was going through the list of growth strengths and weaknesses, one stuck out to me. I think one of my biggest weaknesses in my other classes is that I focus on the grades instead of learning. There is a lot of pressure on me to get good grades because of scholarships and sorority requirements, so I am always stressing. I think that sometimes I think and worry so much about getting the good grades, that it actually causes me to do worse. When I get stressed I shut down, and I think if I would focus on learning things rather than getting questions right on a test, I could do much better and would be less stressed.

For this class, I would say my biggest weakness is comparing myself to others. Some times I will write a story, then when I read someone else's I'll like theirs better and start questioning mine. I need to remember to focus on my own growth even when I am observing other people's work.

A strength I have for all my classes would be that I learn from my mistakes. I am pretty good at taking criticism and changing what I do to be better.

For the rest of the semester, I will focus on bettering myself instead of comparing myself to others, and I will set time schedules for myself so that I may be successful in all my classes.

Inspiration. Image Source: UKPinterest.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Emma! I can definitely relate to you on being focused on grades instead of learning. It’s so hard to NOT think about grades when it’s the determining factor for a lot of academic things. But I’m glad you’re trying to focus yourself toward a learning-style and learning for yourself too! Good luck with this class and all your other classes this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma,

    I can also relate to this on so many levels. when there is so much happening and going on the focus starts become I just want this grade and be done with it. A lot of times thinking that way will honestly make things worse. I think you are right when you say it would be better to focus on just learning and the grades will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma,
    I can definitely relate your desire to focus on learning but end up focusing on your grades. I personally wish this wasn't the big picture that was emulated through a college environment. However, I like the approach you are trying to take in focusing on yourself, and actually taking the time to focus on learning. If you put yourself into a position where you are actually enjoying what you are studying or doing, then it makes it that much easier to learn. We have 4 weeks left in the semester! Make the most of it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete