Sunday, February 19, 2017

Learning Challenge: Empathy

I watched the video Brene Brown on Empathy, and I loved what she had to say about it. She described empathy as someone who is in a hole saying it's dark and I'm alone, and you physically going into the hole and saying hey, I've been here and you're not alone. I love that.
She said the difference between empathy and sympathy is that empathy drives connection, and sympathy weakens it.
Sympathy is apologizing for something bad that happened to someone, but empathy is being able to understand how someone feels, knowing what it's like to feel they way they're feeling and being able to put yourself on that level to make a connection with them. I knew what empathy and sympathy were before this research, but I didn't realize how important knowing the difference is. It's definitely something I need to focus on in my every day life.

Empathy. Image Source: Buffer.

2 comments:

  1. Emma,

    I like your thoughts on empathy and the video you watched. The way you described the video makes me want to watch it because you make it sound very interesting. I think the point you made about sympathy and how its more about understanding their feelings is perfect. You seemed to have really comprehended what you watched. It will be something you can take with you for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma,

    I stumbled upon your post and enjoyed reading it. I also did a post about empathy and reading what you described in the video gives me a new perspective on it. I will definitely be watching the video myself! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete