Monday, January 30, 2017

Feedback Thoughts

One article I really enjoyed about taking feedback, was 5 Tips For Taking Feedback Like A Champ. I grew up as a cheerleader, which just like any other sport, meant learning and improving constantly. One thing that it taught me was to accept feedback, and this article highlights why it is so important! Nine times out of ten, if you are receiving feedback from someone, it is because they are trying to help you and make you better. I mean seriously, think about it. If someone doesn't want you to succeed, they are not going to give you information on what you're doing wrong or how to fix it because they want to see you fail. So feedback is simply an opportunity to better yourself. This article tips on how to make feedback positively useful for yourself which is so important, because personally, sometimes I can take feedback the wrong way. My motto with feedback is to take it to mind, not to heart. When I receive feedback I really think about it and process it with questions like 'how could I make myself better with this information?', 'how could I change this to improve the outcome next time?'. or 'how can I make this happen?'. But I have learned not to take it to heart. Don't ask questions like 'why are they calling me out like that?', or 'how am I always doing something wrong?'.
My favorite article on giving feedback was Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback. I loved this article because of its positive outlook on the subject. I think it's so important to pay attention to the way you give feedback to someone because of the different ways people can interpret it. I like how the article said that we can't change the past, only the future. So focus on making the person better instead of saying things to prove they were wrong before. Just as you want someone to help you better yourself, you want people to know that you are wanting to help them. Feedback and encouragement are so important to the growth process.

Positive Feedback! Image source: JMI.

1 comment:

  1. Focusing on the future is such a good reminder that we can’t always fix what we could’ve done better in the past, but the best is yet to come! I also think it’s a good thing to remember when giving anyone feedback. I enjoy getting feedback because of this concept. I know I can do better, and a little guidance never hurts.

    ReplyDelete