Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 1 Story: An Unlikely Friendship

An Unlikely Friendship

One early morning a young fawn goes out to graze on grass for breakfast. The same morning, a little tiger goes out to find some breakfast of his own.

As the fawn wanders around fields looking for luscious grass, she sees the little tiger watching her close. She says “Hello little tiger! come over to me.” and over came the little tiger. As the little tiger approaches, fawn has no fear. She exclaims “Oh little tiger, your stripes are so pretty!” and little tiger replies “So are your spots.”

“Oh won’t you come search for sweet grass with me, then we can eat together little tiger!”

"The Unlikeliest of Friends" DailyMail.

The two wander the field until the fawn finds the grass she wants to eat, but the little tiger says “Fawn, I am sorry, but I just don’t like grass.”

The fawn says “Oh little tiger don’t fret, I will find you something to eat.”

The fawn trots back to her home, where she asks her mother what she could giver her new friend to eat. Her mother says frantically “Sweetie, tigers are not our friends. You mustn’t go back to see the little tiger, for your life will be in danger.”

But the fawn said “No momma, this tiger is kind. He wouldn’t eat me!”

The fawn gathered some berries, and got ready to leave, but her mother just wouldn’t let her go. Just as fawn sets the berries down, there is a knock at the door. Mother opens the door to see a little tiger patiently waiting.

The fawn says “Little tiger! Look here, I have you some fresh picked berries!”

“Berries sound delicious fawn, may I come in to eat them with you?” says the little tiger.

The little tiger then joined the fawn and her mother for breakfast consisting of fresh berries. He enjoyed them greatly, and even had seconds. And every day after that day, the fawn and the tiger ate breakfast together.


Authors Note
The Fawn and The Little Tiger
The fable begins similar to my story, with the fawn and the little tiger searching for breakfast. The tiger refuses to eat the grass, so the fawn goes home to find him something. The fawn’s mother tells how lucky she was to escape the tiger’s presence alive, and how tigers are the most dangerous predators in the wild. The fawn then trembles in fear of what could have happened if she went back to the tiger. I basically kept the ideas from the first part of the story, but changed the ending by making the friendship between the fawn and the little tiger continue.

Bibliography
“The Fawn and The Little Tiger” from Indian Fables by Ramaswami Raju. Web source.


9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma,

    I really enjoyed your take on this classic tale. I think your writing was good and you have great story-telling potential. I loved that you were inspired to change the plot of this story to reflect a positive idea. I found it very thought-provoking in the sense that while people (or tigers) may sometimes seem dangerous or predatory because we know they have different philosophies or lifestyles than our own; it is important to see past the exterior and look for the kindness in others. We are all humans (or animals) trying to survive in the best way we know how to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma,

      I really liked your story about the fawn and the tiger. I think the way you described the friendship was sweet. Although, you should add more description and grab your readers attention more that way. Your writing stile is simplistic yet stunning though. You should continue to focus on your descriptions of your character and you will be an unstoppable blogger. The key to any story is being able to have your readers have a painted picture in their mind so they can envision what you are. You want everyone to be on the same page when it comes to what youre trying to tell your story about. I agree with Courtney in that you have great story telling potential.

      Delete
  4. I like that your story ended on a high note. I finished the story with the expectation that the tiger would turn on the fawn and eat him. I took this ending as a sort of morale or symbolism. Some species and animals that are known to be vicious may not, in fact, possess those vile qualities. To be quite frank, it's kind of like stereotypes. There are stereotypes that are tagged to certain cultures and races; however, these labels don't to apply to all of the the individuals of that one race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emma! Your story immediately caught my attention because it was a about a fawn and a tiger—two things I do not see together. However, your story was absolutely adorable, and I really enjoyed how you made something that could potentially end in one of your characters being in a life-threatening situation into a growing friendship. It almost made me think about how opposites attract. I was wondering how the fawn’s mother was okay with having the tiger over for breakfast without much hesitation. I know she spoke about how lucky the fawn was, but what made her change her mind so quick? I enjoyed how this story came together, but what if there was something a little more dramatic that made the fawn’s mother concerned? There could be a story of the past the fawn’s mother tells the fawn in order to express her concern. That’s something you could add if you wanted, but I really enjoyed how cute this story was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma,

    I really enjoyed how your story read. It reminded me of a childhood story with a deep underlying message. Something that a parent would read to their kid before bedtime. Those kind of stories always intrigued me and they are so interesting even at the simplest form. I understood that both the lion and the fawn ended up meeting each other, but what drove them together? Usually they would be enemies, but something kept them together. I think it would be really interesting to hear your take on that topic. I was also wondering what if instead of a tiger and a fawn, the story could contain a popular kid in school and a nerd? Just a thought. I think it would be an interesting idea to incorporate. Maybe the kids could meet at school during detention and suddenly become best friends. I believe it really fits well with your topic of unlikely friends. This was a really nice read and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the implications of this story in terms of the overcoming of differences and even the overvaluing of those differences in the public eye. I think that the way you wrote this story is really sweet and beautiful. You have done a wonderful job of crafting a simple story of two friends. You have done a great job of making me fall in love with the characters you crafted. I would really love to know more about them. I’m curious whether the fawn knew better and had already been told to stay away from fawns or whether, in this case, ignorance truly was bliss. As for the tiger, he had to know that he was meant to eat the fawn by natural laws. I wonder what initially kept him from eating the fawn. I wonder if maybe it was the simple boldness of the fawn in asking the tiger to join him to search for good grass to eat. I really enjoyed reading this, and I would love to read the thought processes behind the actions of the two animals in it. Thank you for a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma, I liked that you decided to make it a happier story that ended in friendship. I kept thinking something bad was going to happen, but I'm glad it didn't! I liked your use of dialogue; it really brings the characters to life. I have always loved children's stories so this was a great read! Great picture, by the way!

    ReplyDelete